Re: s6-svscan shutdown notification

From: Jan-willem De Bleser <jw_at_thescrapyard.org>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2022 08:12:58 -0800

On Fri, Feb 25, 2022 at 8:52 AM Jan Bramkamp <crest_at_rlwinm.de> wrote:

> I use s6-rc on the FreeBSD jail host as well to manage jails with their
> own supervision trees as long running services making the jail
> supervision tree a subtree of the host supervision tree. I prefer to let
> s6-rc handle state transitions instead of using the more limited state
> management support in the jail utility. I use one service bundle per
> jail containing a oneshot to create/destroy a persistent jail and a long
> run depending on the oneshot using jexec to start the supervision
> subtree inside the jail.

I can see the appeal of that, using one-shots to set up the network,
mounts, etc. I don't use s6-rc, but I'll keep it in mind.

However, I realized I've framed the issue incorrectly: I don't care if s6
receives a SIGKILL as long as the supervised processes (including loggers)
have shut down cleanly. I can use elglob/forx/s6-svc -wD to shut everything
down, and just not worry about s6-svscan.

- Jw