Re: argc in s6 vs daemontools

From: Laurent Bercot <ska-skaware_at_skarnet.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 21:21:01 +0100

On 17/03/2015 21:14, Lorenzo wrote:
> there's a few commands that take N arguments in daemontools and only
> one in s6 - which is a perfectly fine choice, except that most of
> them (think "svstat *") will reject no arguments and accept N
> arguments, but only using the 1st one.

  Giving extra arguments on a command line is not an error.
There's such a thing as "too few arguments", but no such thing
as "too many arguments".

  Yeah, I understand there may be a bit of confusion for people
used to daemontools and switching to s6. They are still
different commands, with different documentation, and it's up
to the users to pay attention to the syntax of the tools they're
using. Sorry.

  There *may* come a time when I add the handling for N arguments
to some s6 commands (s6-svc comes to mind), which is another
reason why I don't want to treat too many arguments as an error
for now.