Re: What extra logging utilities are needed with s6?

From: Crest <crest_at_rlwinm.de>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2021 09:21:29 +0100

On 20.01.21 07:56, Kian Kasad wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I apologize if this is a "dumb" or seemingly obvious question. Logging
> and monitoring are definitely my weak points when it comes to
> Linux/UNIX.
>
> In terms of logging, what exactly does s6 handle and what do I need to
> handle using external programs?
> I know s6 (at least how Artix Linux has it set up) will create a
> directory under /var/log for each service that emits log output. Because
> of this, do I need a syslog daemon like syslog-ng?
If all your services support logging to stdout/stderr you can get away
without a syslog service. Instead of a single logging service consuming
logs from all other services s6 is designed to connect each long running
service with its own tiny dedicated logging service.
> And do I need a logrotate program or does s6 handle that?
You don't need and external log rotation program. The s6-log utility
includes support for log rotation and post processing and log rotation
is enabled by default.