Re: runit SIGPWR support

From: Laurent Bercot <ska-supervision_at_skarnet.org>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2020 02:15:25 +0000

>I don't generally question people that are this far above my weight class
>on a topic - but I'm pretty sure this [1] implies that pid 1 is not a
>requirement.

Of course, you can run runsvdir directly under a different init. But
that requires a bit of work: you now need to find another way to run
your stage 1, and also your stage 3 when shutting down the container.
Stages 1 and 3 are an integral part of using runit as an init system
instead of just a supervision mechanism (which the runsvdir invocation
in stage 2 is), so if you can't run them because you can't run the
runit binary because it's not pid 1, you need to work around that. And
it's not entirely trivial; to accomplish something similar in s6, I had
to write a whole specific package, s6-linux-init.

innerspacepilot wants to use runit with the least possible amount of
effort, so rewriting a significant portion of the init sequence doesn't
sound like a good match. ;)

>I'm also confused why my suggestion would be put down so harshly outside of
>the possible pid 1 issue.

Sorry if I appeared hostile, that was not my intention; I tend to be
blunt and terse when something seems obvious to me. I just wanted to
stress that any alternative solution to changing the lxc config will
be more costly, one way or another.