Re: s6 usability

From: Oliver Schad <oliver.schad_at_automatic-server.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2019 01:18:03 +0100

On Mon, 23 Dec 2019 10:15:11 +0000
Jonathan de Boyne Pollard <J.deBoynePollard-newsgroups_at_NTLWorld.COM>
wrote:

> Oliver Schad:
>
> > A booting tools should be in /bin - full stop!
> >

> That is historically untrue. The real world has not actually worked
> in the way that some people think.

Sorry, this is a historical explanation of some things - is this a
history course here?

That is *not* what you would expect today. Scripts
for system initialization (a special case) should find all tools
in /bin, because it's in always in the path (always today).

To put tools for a lot of scripts somewhere(!) would mean, that all
scripts have a method to find these tools or would mean to add more
directories to PATH.

Because the maintainer of these scripts are completely distributed
(it's not one small team, which writes boot/start scripts), it's crazy
to do something else than put everything in /bin.

If you would say, that this is not true, then we can discuss where we
should place cp, mv, ls - maybe in /usr/lib/gnu/? Really?

Important scripting tools should always be in /bin or /usr/bin - /bin
for boot, /usr/bin for later stages is ok.

Best Regards
Oli

--
Automatic-Server AG •••••