Some thoughts on Dependency of Process Management

From: Dequan Zhang <robin_at_sxl.io>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2019 15:53:06 -0700

            Hi,Recently I need to write a supervisor for my service that consist of a few processes.And I encounter the systemd in my environment. In the first place I thought I would like to write some Unit files for systemd and I will be done.But it proves that I am wrong. Systemd is a very complex and even though I spent a lot of time to figure out what directive to use, I still dont have confidence that I did it correctly.Then I look at one of the idea behind the systemd is that systemd will have a full dependency graph for running service.Is it a good idea? I asked myself. And my answer is no. Becuase processes are living context and anything can happen to it.  If a process needs to take a consideration of existence of other process, that it should do it by its own.It is not like a build dependeny that can be bakced by a file system and is staic in a sense you can always go to states x,y,z like git commits.Any comments on my thought? Should the system manage the dependencies of service at runtime in a global scale?Best,Robin