Re: smaclennan/doorknob

From: Sean MacLennan <seanm_at_seanm.ca>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2019 13:32:58 -0500

On Sun, 27 Jan 2019 14:39:16 +0000
Jonathan de Boyne Pollard <J.deBoynePollard-newsgroups_at_NTLWorld.COM>
wrote:

> A lot of constructive comments on doorknob which I am not going to
> include here.

Well, I have updated doorknob to *hopefully* respond to all the
comments. I have pushed the changes to github if anybody is interested.

The big changes are moving the default location of the directories and
changing ownership.

Doorknob now has its own user. It basically does:

1. change to queue directory
2. setup inotify
3. drop privileges to doorknob user
4. read config
5. start handling messages

sendmail and mailq are now owned by the mail user and group
(configurable) and are +s.

The queues are now (by default):

chown mail.mail /var/spool/doorknob
chown mail.mail /var/spool/doorknob/queue
chown mail.mail /var/spool/doorknob/tmp
chmod 750 /var/spool/doorknob
chmod 777 /var/spool/doorknob/queue
chmod 700 /var/spool/doorknob/tmp

Everything is configurable. You can make the doorknob user root, the
mail user root, and everything is as before.

Comments welcome.

Cheers,
   Sean