Re: On possibly "finer" dependencies in s6-rc

From: Laurent Bercot <ska-supervision_at_skarnet.org>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2017 08:59:05 +0000

>Nevertheless, s6-svwait -o seems to also fail if some failure occurs
>before the wanted state is reached, eg. one `dnscrypt-proxy' instance
>reporting permanent failure before another one comes up successfully.
>So we might need to add an option to ignore such failures.

  Yes, that's a good point. I'll think about it.

  However, I'd like to insist that permanent failure is a big deal,
because it changes the wanted state of a process without user input;
so it really should not be silently ignored.
  If someone is explicitly waiting for a service that reports permanent
failure, I'd like to use that opportunity to warn that user that
something serious happened, even if the command can still succeed
because the user asked for a disjunction and another service can still
come up.
  Does a warning message to stderr when this happens sound appropriate
to you?