Re: GNU Emacs now runs in foreground

From: Steve Litt <slitt_at_troubleshooters.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2016 12:41:18 -0500

On Thu, 1 Dec 2016 20:28:46 +0300
Jean Louis <bugs_at_gnu.support> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 01, 2016 at 12:05:31PM -0500, Steve Litt wrote:

> > OK, I'll byte.
> >
> > I thought emacs was an editor that a human runs in the foreground to
> > edit files, so my reaction to this was "of course it runs in the
> > foreground!"
> >
> > What am I missing?
>
> You are right, it is hard to figure out the context. That is for s6
> services, I am invoking editor as daemon, so that it may be accessed
> later by need.
>
> Buffers remain in memory, and so the IRC, Jabber chat, various
> documents from which I yank parts of texts into emails, registers, the
> programming languages are invoked within the editor, and shells and
> other tools. Invoking single editor each time is a bit slower, than
> invoking it as client that accesses the daemon. And that way, all the
> goodies would be lost by each new invocation. Some people have
> multiple buffers over multiple days.
>
> Just before some time, emacs --daemon, would go into background, so it
> was not feasible to control it with s6 scripts. Now developers changed
> it, and it is possible to invoke multiple instances by name, and still
> keep the daemon in foreground. In that mode there is no interface to
> editor. Clients that access the editor, show the interface.

Fascinating! How do emacs clients communicate with the emacs daemon?
Sockets?

How many other user programs might be used as daemons. What an
interesting idea! For some reason, mplayer pops into my mind.

Thanks!

SteveT

Steve Litt
November 2016 featured book: Quit Joblessness: Start Your Own Business
http://www.troubleshooters.com/startbiz