Re: s6-linux-init: SIGUSR1 and SIGUSR2

From: Colin Booth <cathexis_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2016 07:54:42 -0700

On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 7:29 AM, Martin "eto" Misuth <et.code_at_ethome.sk> wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Aug 2016 07:26:12 -0700
>
> Colin Booth <cathexis_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>> My own $0.02 is that s6-svscan -S should ignore power state signals
>> (including SIGINT which it currently doesn't ignore).
>
> I haven't really understood this thread, but I think I am starting to
> understand.
>
> Correct me, if I am wrong, but is this about signals, which generate various
> cleanup paths to end normal machine operations aka "curuising" mode?
Yes.

> Because if so, there is problem I hit before, but thought it was PEBKAC on my
> part.
>
> Currently on FreeBSD, when s6-svscan runs as PID1, native "reboot" command makes
> s6-svscan do proper cleanup (I guess it sends signal which is
> correctly interpreted by s6-svscan as shutdown signal). While shutdown does
> "nothing". I guess on that box I need to add -S switch and introduce signal
> handling scripts?

Lower case -s causes s6-svscan to execute a script on receipt of:
TERM, INT, HUP, QUIT, USR1, USR2. If the script doesn't exist, nothing
happens. Most likely, you need to find which signal the shutdown
command sends, and write a handler script in .s6-svscan to do
something with it.

This is documented here:
http://www.skarnet.org/software/s6/s6-svscan.html

Cheers!

--
"If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to
man as it is, infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees