Re: Equivalence of bundles and no-op oneshots in s6-rc

From: Laurent Bercot <ska-supervision_at_skarnet.org>
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2016 13:36:08 +0200

On 14/08/2016 13:31, Casper Ti. Vector wrote:
> Theoretically, a bundle just acts like a oneshot that does nothing but
> pulling in dependencies (contents of the bundle). If this is actually
> the case, is it possible to just make the `./up' for oneshots optional
> (`./down' is already optional), and make `bundle' and `./contents'
> aliases of `oneshot' and `./dependencies'? If my guess is correct, this
> will lead to a simplification of the s6-rc codebase to some extent.

  Not quite: if a bundle was a no-op oneshot, you could still have all
its dependencies up while the bundle itself would be down. It wouldn't be
a strict equivalence, but a container of sorts - a bit like "metapackages"
for some distributions, that you can remove once they have installed all
their contents.

  That's not what I was going after with bundles. A bundle is really an
alias for a set of services, instead of one service that may or may not
pull in others via the dependency mechanism.