Re: What's the difference between s6 and s6-rc?

From: Steve Litt <slitt_at_troubleshooters.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 12:54:48 -0500

On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 16:02:11 +0100
Laurent Bercot <ska-supervision_at_skarnet.org> wrote:

> On 25/02/2016 15:47, Steve Litt wrote:
> > Could somebody, in one or two sentences, tell me the difference
> > between s6 vs s6-init?
> > I'm not looking for references to big old documents: I'm looking for
> > one or two sentences telling me the difference.
>
> Still, big old documents have all the information you need, and
> more: the first lines of http://skarnet.org/software/s6-rc/why.html
> would answer your question.
>
> s6 is a process supervisor. It manages daemons.
> s6-rc is a service manager. It manages the global state of a
> machine: what service is up, what service is down, with dependencies
> between services, and "services" being implemented by either a daemon
> or a one-shot script.
>
> s6-rc is a management layer running *on top of* s6. It uses the s6
> infrastructure to do its job, but this job is not the same at all.

:-)

Expecting responses like the preceding, I specified 1 or 2 sentences.
Luckily, Jan Bramcamp answered my questions in 2 sentences, and then
went on to give even more details, so I now feel confident in
understanding the difference between the two.

Understanding http://skarnet.org/software/s6-rc/why.html depends on
understanding the exact meanings of "supervision suite" and "service
manager", two phrases sounding confusingly similar to me (and I doubt
I'm the only one). Also confusing is sometimes use of "supervision
tree", which I assume is a synonym for "supervision suite." And then in
your email reply (above), you refer to "process supervisor", which I
assume is yet another synonym for "supervision suite."

I wouldn't have understood http://skarnet.org/software/s6-rc/why.html
before reading Jan's 2 sentence explanation (with additions). Now I do.

I'll write more about this in a separate email...

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt
February 2016 featured book: The Key to Everyday Excellence
http://www.troubleshooters.com/key