Re: [announce] buildroot-s6 0.4.0

From: Laurent Bercot <ska-supervision_at_skarnet.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 13:16:05 +0100

On 27/01/2016 07:59, Eric Le Bihan wrote:
> The version 0.4.0 of buildroot-s6, a set of Makefiles to generate embedded
> Linux systems using s6 as init system, is available [1].

  Nice ! Thanks Eric.

> buildroot-s6 is a sandbox to play with the s6 stack and see how it could be
> integrated into the official Buildroot. It is still a work-in-progress.

  The biggest hurdle that *every* distribution faces is that every daemon
starting script is specific to the service manager, and supervision
systems do things very differently from non-supervision systems.

  And so, daemon packages need to be separated into "mechanism" (the
daemon itself) and "policy" (the way to start it), with as many
"policy" packages as there are supported service managers.

  I plan to do this work for Alpine Linux towards the end of this year;
I think most of it will be reusable for other distributions, including
Buildroot.