Re: A general sequence of events for init

From: post-sysv <boycottsystemd_at_openmailbox.org>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 21:42:40 -0400

FWIW, finit is an active example of a minimal, plugin-based init(8).

That said, of course this can exist. Plenty of PID1 replacements that
are largely agnostic of everything you listed. Handling stages 1 and 3
may need some additions to conditional logic, however. Introducing
shared objects in this would be overkill though, unless you're using the
word "plugin" to mean a script using a common interface.