Re: First thoughts on s6

From: Steve Litt <slitt_at_troubleshooters.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2015 09:04:23 -0400

On Wed, 17 Jun 2015 16:32:42 -0700
Avery Payne <avery.p.payne_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> With yesterday's mention of the idea of a clearinghouse, the concept
> that daemon options need to be versioned has been in the back of my
> head. Here is an idea: versioned definitions. A crude example:
>
> /etc/sv/sshd/envdir/DAEMON -> /etc/sv/sshd/envdir/current/DAEMON
> /etc/sv/sshd/envdir/DAEMONOPTS
> -> /etc/sv/sshd/envdir/current/DAEMONOPTS /etc/sv/sshd/envdir/current-> /etc/sv/sshd/versions/v3
> /etc/sv/sshd/envdir/versions/v3/DAEMON
> /etc/sv/sshd/envdir/versions/v3/DAEMONOPTS
> /etc/sv/sshd/envdir/versions/v2/DAEMON
> /etc/sv/sshd/envdir/versions/v2/DAEMONOPTS
>
> Settings are now versioned and encapsulated to their definition; old
> definitions can be kept indefinitely, allowing you to support older
> "legacy" installs; you can still pull just one definition of
> /etc/sv/sshd (and all of the files and directories inside of it) out
> of a tarball, put it in place, and everything works;

You or somebody had better document that clearly and simply. Maybe with
a diagram or two. There are two possible thoughts an unfamiliar user
could have when seeing all those symlinks:

1) Too crazy, later days!

2) What a cool way of representing everything, *I* should have thought
   of it!

I think the difference between those two reactions is about a half a
page of text and maybe a diagram or two. If you incorporate this
system, when the time comes, send me back this email to remind me, and
I'll help with the document.

By the way, Avery, that's a slick solution to a real problem. Nice one!

SteveT

Steve Litt
June 2015 featured book: The Key to Everyday Excellence
http://www.troubleshooters.com/key