Re: comparison

From: Steve Litt <slitt_at_troubleshooters.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 01:47:57 -0400

On Tue, 16 Jun 2015 09:29:15 +0200
Laurent Bercot <ska-supervision_at_skarnet.org> wrote:

> In the meantime, if you don't want to get your hands dirty,
> you can still use s6-svscan/s6-supervise as a process supervision
> system without trying to make it run as an init system, just as you
> can use runsvdir/runsv as a process supervision system without using
> the runit binary. That is real modularity, that is the main reason
> why I believe runit and s6 are better designed than
> other-init-software-out-there, and it would be *trivial* to port your
> "suckless init on Plop" setup from daemontools(-encore) to runit or
> s6, even if you don't use every feature those packages provide.

You could be right about that. I just finished doing the same setup,
except instead of Suckless->daemontools-encore, I did
Felker->s6-svscan. Once I cleaned up all my transposition errors, and
modified LittKit to work with S6's command names and s6-svstat's
output, it worked like a charm, and it appears to work just like
Felker->daemontools-encore.

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt
June 2015 featured book: The Key to Everyday Excellence
http://www.troubleshooters.com/key