RE: comparison

From: James Powell <james4591_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 13:53:41 -0700

Too true. Systemd offered the pot of gold as long as you handed it the keys to the kingdom.

Runit still requires work, but less work if a package for scripts exists. The most arbitrary need is the Stage scripts, which generally can utilize a general script setup, or translated init shell scripts.

I've worked with Runit enough to see that many distributions wanted ready-to-use, not more hackfests to redo run script are run script.

The problem is, Runit solved every problem with system management and service supervision before systemd, but because few were willing to create scripts, it fell off the radar. Runit is a very complete init+supervision suite in all respects and regards, but it needed scripts.

And believe me, after you debug a script about 10 times and sshd still refuses to stay in the up state and available, it makes you want to rip hair out.

Sent from my Windows Phone