Re: comparison

From: Steve Litt <slitt_at_troubleshooters.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2015 22:54:09 -0400

On Mon, 15 Jun 2015 17:37:45 -0700
Buck Evan <buck_at_yelp.com> wrote:

> Is there any resource that compares the capabilities of daemontools,
> daemontools-encore, runit, s6, and friends?

One thing I can tell you is that daemontools and daemontools-encore
were never intended to be init systems, whereas I'm pretty sure that
runit, s6 and nosh intended to be part or all of an init system. In
fact, I used runit as a complete init system, and it worked well.

Regardless of the intent of daemontools and daemontools-encore, I just
this week used daemontools to do almost all the system initialization
for Plop Linux, and all the process management. PID1 was just an 89
line C program that forked /bin/rc.init, then wait() spun killing
zombies and handling relevant signals. /bin/rc.init set the computer up
enough that daemontools-encore would work, and then exec'ed
daemontools-encore.

HTH,

SteveT

Steve Litt
June 2015 featured book: The Key to Everyday Excellence
http://www.troubleshooters.com/key