Re: What interrupt does Ctrl+Alt+Delete send PID1?

From: Steve Litt <slitt_at_troubleshooters.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2015 20:00:51 -0400

On Fri, 12 Jun 2015 20:06:40 -0300
Guillermo <gdiazhartusch_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> > On Fri, 12 Jun 2015 11:31:44 +0200 Laurent Bercot wrote:
> >
> >> Well, your host system will definitely catch the 3 finger
> >> salute; it won't be sent as is to your guest system. Is there a
> >> way for the VM to send an emulated ctrl-alt-del press to the
> >> guest ?
> >
> > Thanks Laurent,
> >
> > It looks like once I fully document my VM setup, I'll need to do the
> > thing on bare metal.
>
> Did you use the right key combination? You send an emulated CTRL + Alt
> + Del to the guest OS on VirtualBox with HOST Key + Del. "HOST Key" is
> the right CTRL key by default, but you can change that via VirtualBox
> configuration. In other words, if you don't change the HOST key
> mapping, the emulated CTRL + Alt + Del is right CTRL + Del. A real
> CTRL + Alt + Del will indeed go to the host OS.
>
> Cheers,
> G.

Thank you Guillermo,

My daughter makes costumes for plays, and I've commissioned her to make
me a dunce cap.

Yes, of course Host+Del reboots the virtual machine. If I do this:

echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/ctrl-alt-del

then Host+Del reboots by calling my /bin/rc.shutdown. If I leave the
ctrl-alt-del file at its booted value of 1, it just
skips /bin/rc.shutdown and brings it right down.

To summarize:

* I blamed it on a wrong interrupt, but that was false.
* Then I blamed it on Suckless Init, but that was false.
* Then I blamed it on Plop Linux, but that was false.
* Finally, thanks to your guidance, I know the problem is defective
  user, and fixed the problem.

I'll think of you often as I wear my dunce cap, and thanks so much for
putting me out of my misery. This could have gone on for days.

LOL, you can't make this up, folks!

Thanks Guillermo,

SteveT

Steve Litt
June 2015 featured book: The Key to Everyday Excellence
http://www.troubleshooters.com/key