Re: What interrupt does Ctrl+Alt+Delete send PID1?

From: Steve Litt <slitt_at_troubleshooters.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2015 21:06:21 -0400

On Fri, 12 Jun 2015 02:35:28 +0200
Laurent Bercot <ska-supervision_at_skarnet.org> wrote:

> There was a time where the kernel protected pid 1 against signals
> sent by user processes, and only sent it signals it generated itself
> such as SIGINT for Ctrl-Alt-Del. This is the reason why sysvinit
> uses /dev/initctl as a communication point between init and the
> "shutdown" program.

Nowwwwwww you tell me!

:-)

Neither my Plop with Suckless Init, Plop with sysvinit, nor Plop live CD
have /dev/initctl. Perhaps not so coincidentally, none of the three
responds to Ctrl+Alt+Del. This wasn't a Suckless Init property, it
appears to be a Plop property.

SteveT

Steve Litt
June 2015 featured book: The Key to Everyday Excellence
http://www.troubleshooters.com/key