Re: taxonomy of dependencies

From: Laurent Bercot <ska-supervision_at_skarnet.org>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2015 21:17:42 +0200

On 08/06/2015 20:22, Jonathan de Boyne Pollard wrote:
> It's this design decision, that can be traced all of the way back to the
> behaviour of init, that leads to the user knowledge that sending a
> SIGTERM is a way to trigger a graceful restart
> (...)
> But it's not the only design decision in town.

  Of course, but exactly what SIGTERM does and exactly what command the
admin should send to restart the service are details. My point was that
when faced with a trivial problem such as a corrupt cache entry, the
admin should be able to *immediately* hit the "restart the process"
command, whatever that is on her supervision system, without having
to care if the process will be down for zero, one or sixty seconds.