Re: move s6 to github?

From: Buck Evan <buck_at_yelp.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 17:58:40 -0700

On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 5:33 PM, Laurent Bercot <ska-supervision_at_skarnet.org
> wrote:

> On 22/04/2015 01:40, Buck Evan wrote:
>
>> I didn't know until you two told me just now.
>> Can we have a link in the doc?
>>

> Good idea, thank you. Done now, in the "Download" section of
> the main page.

Thanks!

Just to set my own expectations, may I send pull requests to github, or
must I send patches here?
If not, you may want to add a CONTRIBUTING doc outlining the corrected
procedure.
Any people attempting to "do it wrong" would then see it before submitting
a PR.
https://github.com/blog/1184-contributing-guidelines

 To be clear: it's very much intentional that the s6 development model is a
> cathedral and not a bazaar.

I did not know that. It does make it clear that what you're doing is
intentional.

I brought up the bazaar because you criticized systemd as neglecting "The
bazaar approach that has made the free software ecosystem what it is
today;", which made me think s6 would embrace the bazaar in contrast.
http://skarnet.org/software/s6/systemd.html

The project will not grow fast, ...

While I agree that lines-of-code should not grow fast, I would enjoy seeing
user uptake grow much more quickly, and I believe that's part of your
project goal, someday.

> ... but it will
> grow with a clear and coherent vision, and avoid creeping featurism as much
> as possible. For such a piece of software, I believe it is the right
> choice.

I think the cpython project shows that populism and restraint aren't
mutually exclusive features.
It's a very bazaar-oriented project, but also quite conservative about
feature creep, with all major design decisions stopping with the BDFL.
https://github.com/python/cpython/graphs/contributors