Re: anopa: init system/service manager built around s6

From: Aristomenis Pikeas <pikeas_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 18:41:45 -0700

Laurent (s6-rc), Olivier (anopa), Toki (supervision framework), and Gorka (s6-overlay),

I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out the differences between your projects. The s6 suite of utils can be considered building blocks for a full init system, but what does each of your projects do on top of s6?

For a bit of context, my goal is the simplest init system that could possibly work, to be run inside of a docker container. I need to start services and gracefully handle SIGTERM/SIGKILL, with everything logged to standard out. That's about it. But this is proving to be difficult with s6. I've been chipping away at things, but it's slow going between understanding all of the tricky bash-isms and learning about all of the relevant s6 components.

If any of the four of you, or anyone else on this list, could provide some guidance, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm convinced that s6 is a better solution than runit, but at this point I may switch back, as things mostly Just Work.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts,
Aris