Re: The udev question & understanding what runsvdir "means"

From: Colin Booth <cathexis_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2014 09:33:30 -0700

On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 10:37 PM, Avery Payne <avery.p.payne_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is `kill -STOP $$` at end of ./run won't be enough? Why do you need
>> pause(1)?
>>

> It never occurred to me to have the script/shell signal itself. I'll give
> it a spin when I have some time to place it in a script. Thanks!
The only thing that you'll need to figure out if you SIGSTOP the
script is a good way of waking it back up. You might instead want to
create a named pipe and wait on the pipe. Assuming you know the pid to
wake up from sleep it's a little less predicable since theoretically
anything with the right access can push something down the pipe and
break your script out of its wait cycle, but it's pretty safe and
won't involve fighting the process table.

> In fact, if that works as planned, I'll incorporate it into the project.
> It's up now at https://bitbucket.org/avery_payne/runit-scripts, but I will
> warn you, (a) this is my "first project" so the commits are not exactly
> clean, (b) it's still rather raw and unpolished, (c) I have a lot of work
> ahead of me.
If you're running this on a debian system, judicious use of
`update-rc.d $service disable' will help with dpkg trying to run
things over and over again (such as the dbus case). At least, I've
disabled it across all run levels, shoved it into supervision, and
haven't had any issues.

Cheers!

--
"If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to
man as it is, infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees