Re: execline: case: Subexpression matching does not work?

From: Laurent Bercot <ska-skaware_at_skarnet.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2021 08:13:34 +0000

>When I try to run the example program in the documentation for case, the default case is executed every time:

  ... yeah, that's because the example program in the documentation
was wrong. ^^' (I wrote it with BREs in mind, then made EREs the
default, and ended up with something that works in neither case. Yay.)

  Fixed now. Remove all the backslashes in the example and in the
output: EREs treat parentheses as special characters without escaping.
Thanks for the report!

>I had been secretly hoping for exactly this functionality in execline for a good while now, so I would appreciate it if I could have a version of the case command that works properly!

  The case command should definitely work properly. Just don't trust
regular expressions you see in the wild, and especially not from me. ;)