Re: s6-log timestamp bug after resuming; Plan 9 $path and /package

From: Guillermo <gdiazhartusch_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2019 22:54:44 -0300

El dom., 1 sept. 2019 a las 19:18, Laurent Bercot escribió:

> >Doesn't s6-log (indirectly) use clock_gettime() with a CLOCK_MONOTONIC
> >argument if skalibs was built with --enable-monotonic?
>
> Yes, it does. But --enable-monotonic is a bad idea for long-lived
> processes that need timestamping. I need better clock interfaces
> in skalibs, the current ones don't allow a run-time selection
> between clocks. Hopefully I can write those interfaces for 2.9.0.0.

OK. Going back to Casper's problem, I remember from old posts that he
is using Void, Void packages a libskarnet built with
--enable-monotonic, and the man page says that CLOCK_MONOTONIC does
not count time that the system is suspended, so could that be the
reason of s6-log's incorrect timestamps after suspension or
hibernation?

* https://github.com/void-linux/void-packages/blob/a35ae159d262f867de4b1c12250baae947b6e512/srcpkgs/skalibs/template

On the other hand, as far as I can tell, GNU Coreutil's date(1) just
calls clock_gettime() with a CLOCK_REALTIME argument, so if that works
correctly after suspension or hibernation, in the absence of better
clock interfaces, maybe linking s6-log to a libskarnet build without
--enable-monotonic would work?

G.