Re: Skalibs on OpenBSD

From: multiplex'd <multiplexd_at_gmx.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2017 22:12:43 +0000

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 10:23:14PM +0000, Laurent Bercot wrote:
> but I'm wondering more and more if OpenBSD if even a target worth porting
> to, given that it shamelessly and purposefully breaks POSIX in several
> places, and that it doesn't seem to care (as this report shows) about
> API stability either.

Out of curiosity, in what ways has OpenBSD deviated from POSIX? And what
makes it so difficult for developers to port software to the platform?

> this OS isn't even trying to pretend to be nice to developers,
> the heavy
> lifting should be done by the OS maintainers, and if someone wants an
> OpenBSD
> port of my software, they should nag OpenBSD people for it.

Does the deviation in API directly cause any issues for s6 and other
applications built on top of skalibs, or does skalibs manage to hide most
of the differences? If Laurent were to terminate support for OpenBSD would
it still be possible to run the s6 suite so long as a suitably patched
version of skalibs was available to compile against?

Regards.