Re: [announce] s6-rc: a s6-based service manager for Unix systems

From: Avery Payne <avery.p.payne_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2015 13:19:13 -0700

On 9/29/2015 1:04 PM, Laurent Bercot wrote:
> Oh, yeah, as far as distributions go, there's no way s6/s6-rc is
> going to make it into Debian as an init system.
Well, it won't be in officially, but it's still possible as a 3rd party
set of packages. If nosh can make packages for Debian, then it's
possible to get s6-rc/s6 packaged.

> I have more hope with Devuan, the Debian-without-systemd distribution
> in the making, but even there, it's definitely not going to be a piece
> of cake.
Just curious, why? Frankly, I think the only holdup for Devuan would be
in having shims in the form of scripts that will be called from apt-get;
the shims would be wrappers over something that would "do the right
thing" for whatever init/supervision pair is installed.

> I believe a good starting point to provide s6-rc packages would be
> Alpine Linux, because Alpine has the same goals: minimalism and
> correctness - it's probably easier to convince people there to try
> it out, and probably easier to do the actual work.
Just FYI, I looked at Alpine the other day and discovered they are using
OpenRC.