Re: [announce] s6-rc: a s6-based service manager for Unix systems

From: Colin Booth <cathexis_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2015 22:52:08 -0700

On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 7:54 PM, Avery Payne <avery.p.payne_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>> I can send you my (almost) 100% functional Debian rcS stuff replacement
>> stuff that I use to run one of my systems. If you can figure out why the
>> acpid keyboard hooks don't work after start, that'd be great. Cheers!
>
> I probably misunderstood, or misrepresented what I was after. I thought
> that we were talking about something that would take a
> /etc/init.d/(whatever) script and churn out the appropriate ./run file.
Most of the scripts under rcS.d fit the oneshot model much better than
the longrun model. I've written oneshot definitions for s6-rc to
handle the boot ordering correctly, primarily wrapping
`/etc/init.d/service start' (and stop where appropriate, I skipped
making down scripts for init scripts that no-op stop). I mostly did it
that way (instead of re-doing the work into execline) because the
called script might change and I'd rather not have to manage my own
fork of initscripts.

Cheers!

--
"If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to
man as it is, infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees