Re: "multiple target patterns. Stop"

From: Ben Hyde <bhyde_at_pobox.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 08:14:02 -0500

Sorry to be so needy…

> On 14/01/2015 05:13, Ben Hyde wrote:
>> Any chance there is an older version that doesn’t require a modern
>> tool chain. Since my application dejour is on a set of build machines
>> and I’m not likely to go down that path this week.
>
> make-4.0 is more than one year old, I assumed it was safe. It is
> *really* easy to build manually, give it a try - you'll be done
> in 3 minutes.

Ok, I went down that path, building the latest gmail with PREFIX=$HOME/usr

Then, simplifying a bit here, I fetched ..

curl http://www.skarnet.org/software/skalibs/skalibs-2.1.0.0.tar.gz | tar xz
curl http://skarnet.org/software/execline/execline-2.0.1.1.tar.gz | tar xzb

and configured

./configure --prefix=$HOME/usr --with-include=$HOME/usr/include --with-lib=$HOME/usr/lib --with-dynlib=$HOME/usr/lib

and when I go to make execline I get

make: *** No rule to make target '-lskarnet', needed by 'background'. Stop.

and I note

$ grep -e ' -l' p*/deps.mak | head -3
background: src/execline/background.o ${LIBEXECLINE} -lskarnet
backtick: src/execline/backtick.o ${LIBEXECLINE} -lskarnet
cd: src/execline/cd.o -lskarnet

Which, while I don’t do much work at level of makefiles these days, strikes me as odd.

 WDYT - ben