s6-envdir scope

From: John Vogel <jvogel4_at_stny.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 18:32:53 -0400

I'm working on stage2 one-time scripts. I'd like to take advantage of the
s6-envdir command for some boot time settings. After playing around a bit to
understand the scope of the variables, I'd like to confirm my observations.

If I call s6-envdir in the outer block of a script, all nested blocks can access
these environment variables; scripts called from the same or nested block also
have access to the same.

If I call s6-envdir in an inner block of some nested blocks, only the blocks at
the same or nested inside that block (as well as called scripts) have access to
those environment variables, but not blocks outside of where s6-envdir was called.

I'm hoping this is right and also all by design, as this works well with what I'm
trying to implement. If I'm misunderstanding something here, perhaps someone can
set me straight.

--
  John