Re: musl and timezones

From: Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 17:06:08 +0100

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 3:55 PM, Laurent Bercot <ska-skaware_at_skarnet.org> wrote:
>> musl supports the zoneinfo format, according to
>> http://www.etalabs.net/compare_libcs.html
>> So as long as it does, there's no reason why it shouldn't support
>> the right/ timezones, which are zoneinfo timezones just like POSIX ones.
>

> Follow-up on that.
>
> musl does not support right/ timezones, and there's actually a good
> reason for it.
> Essentially, the configuration of the system clock (TAI-10 or UTC)
> is a system-wide setting, whereas timezones are a process-wide setting -

The kind of support I thought/hoped that musl would provide has to do
with localtime() for applications that need to deal with, well, local
time. The system time should be TAI10! Any other choice is a commitee
produced abomination. Unless I misunderstood, what is the good reason
for not supporting it, other than being difficult or heavy?

Jorge