Re: compiling skalibs-1.4.1

From: Jorge Almeida <jalmeida_at_math.ist.utl.pt>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2013 22:05:08 +0100 (WEST)

On Sat, 12 Oct 2013, Laurent Bercot wrote:

> > Even if it compiled, I'm having doubts about using dietlibc for this.
> > The problem is that dietlibc ignores right timezones, so maybe software
> > that uses right timezones would be silently broken?
>
> I have the exact same problem with uClibc: it doesn't handle right/
> timezones. That is why I have separated the flag-clockistai and
> flag-tzisright compilation options. If you diet-compile skalibs
> with flag-clockistai and *without* flag-tzisright, and set your
> system clock to TAI-10, then skarnet.org software will compute and
> display time properly despite your timezone being POSIX instead of
> right/. However, other time-handling software that do not use the
> skalibs workaround will believe your system clock to be UTC, and manage
> it incorrectly.

I'm really confused: I have
        (i) a TAI-10 system clock, AND
        (ii) a right timezone
What will happen if I diet compile
        (i) *with* flag-clockistai, and
        (ii) *without* flag-tzisright ?
This means lying to skalibs about the tz, but given that the diet libc
is broken will the errors somehow cancel out? (Wishfull thinking...)
If not, it seems better to give up on dietlibc re skalibs et al. But
musl is not up to it... :(

> > I have musl installed, and I used it to statically compile bash (to put in
> > my initramfs_cum_emergency_system...)
>
> You're not using a busybox shell for your emergency system ? :o

An emergency is when I need all the help I can get, in particular a
shell with history and tab completion, and colors. ash just doesn't cut
it.

> > tryclockrt.c:8:19: error: storage size of 'ts' isn't known
> > tryclockrt.c:9:3: warning: implicit declaration of function
> > 'clock_gettime' [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
> > tryclockrt.c:9:21: error: 'CLOCK_REALTIME' undeclared (first use in this
> > function)
>
> I'm waiting impatiently for Aboriginal Linux to switch to musl, so I can
> use a native non-leaking musl toolchain.)
I used it to compile e2fsprogs (again, to my initramfs).

> Does the problem go away if you compile with -D_POSIX_SOURCE ? That
> could be an easy workaround.o

Nope.

Cheers

Jorge